When it comes to buying a quality matcha, I always say, buyer beware!
- Most matcha brands are not tested by 3rd party independent labs to ensure they don't contain radiation and potentially harmful toxic compounds like lead and other heavy metals, herbicides and pesticides. A recent study found that 14 out of 18 samples of the Chinese green tea used in research found that 12 of them were contaminated with 12 banned pesticides. Another study on pesticides in tea imported from China found residues in 198 of 223 samples. In fact, 39 had residues that were over the European Union's maximum limits.
- Most matcha brands are not certified organic. This is important because every step is thoroughly monitored, ensuring there are no artificial fillers or sugars in the powder.
- Many brands use inferior growing, harvesting and processing methods, which can destroy the delicate leaf and its entourage of antioxidants, amino acids and polyphenols.
- Most brands on the market don't use stone-milled, first harvest, baby leaves that have been shade-grown. This means they lack the most important amino acids, polyphenols, vitamins and antioxidants. That's kind of like adding power steering fluid to your car but not petrol, oil, or other fluids...it won't do much for you!
- Finally, many matcha products labeled as "ceremonial grade" are not ceremonial grade at all. You'll notice the downright horrid taste and smell, making it hard to blend with anything and unenjoyable to consume (it's kind of like drinking pond water). Plus, they don't mix well, meaning you have to try to swallow a clumpy mess.
After learning about all the pitfalls and downfalls of traditional matcha products, we decided to develop a reliable source of high-quality matcha that you can trust.
Fact is, honesty and transparency are so important to us, and such a glaring problem for the entire matcha market.
And full transparency is what makes us different. Here are the 3 foundational pillars we've built our company on to ensure you get the very highest quality matcha products available anywhere.
Pillar one: thorough production
We always go the extra mile to ensure our matcha is always tested and is free of radiation, heavy metals and pesticides.
Our production line is thoroughly monitored and documented in every step of the process to surpass Organic and ISO22000 certification standards, approved by the Organic Food Federation and JAS Organic.
Unlike organic fruits and vegetables, organic matcha is extremely difficult to produce. Only a small number of tea farmers have successfully shifted from non-organic to organic, as it requires strict rules and regulations, but it must also meet all requirements of the 3 major organic regulating bodies because they must be grown entirely naturally, free of pesticides and herbicides.
Pillar two: seed to harvest to pouch transparency
While other brands often buy their tainted matcha from countries like China with no control of the quality, and poor agricultural practises, we are completely vertically integrated from farm to table. From generations of family farming experience, nutrient-rich soil, rare cultivars and third-party testing, this allows us to provide the highest-quality, purest matcha products on the market.
Pillar three: it's an art
Growing superior matcha is just as much an art as it is a science. As part of our team, we have full-time tea masters who go to great lengths to ensure our matcha is delicious, healthy and packed full of healing properties.
That's why our matcha is harvested from the most potent part of the plant. Only the finest and distinctive leaves are handpicked, as they guarantee the highest nutritional value, providing you with maximum benefits.